Skip to main content

Review: Burton Family Tree Speed Date




Size: 156 cm


Days: 100+
Rider size: 5'8" 165 lbs

Conditions

Every possible condition since I own this snowboard since 2019 and it is one of my daily drivers.


Boots: ThirtyTwo Vela 8 US / ThirtyTwo Premium Lashed 8 US
Bindings: 2021 Now xYes Medium with Hard bushings
Set Up: 23 inch stance, I always keep 16 inches of tail as a reference, Front: + 21 Rear: +6.

Flex: 7 out of 10 but not on the stiff side. Between the Custom and the Custom X.

Overall Feel

Let's break it here, I have a love story with Burton freeride oriented snowboards and especially the Burton Custom, the Supermodel, and the Balance. The Terje pro model which is the Balance is my favorite all time favorite snowboard; from its narrow waist to its freeride to halfpipe versatility this is not a forgiving board but it gives you that confidence you need. 

To me, the Speed Date is a freeride modern day tech adaptation of this all time classic. A T7 shape blended with a tapered tail of 7mm just as if you took a Custom X and put directional camber with the nose of the Juice Wagon and the tail of the Flight Attendant. A culmination of Burton's expertise of the freestyle/freeride/all-mountain boards.

It does not feel too stiff or too soft but it is just the right combination of every element that makes me love snowboarding. I own the 156cm and I ride many boards on a weekly basis from 149cm to 163cm and the Speed Date feels small for its lenght and seems to be able to turn real quick just like a 150cm board. And, honestly, sometimes I wished I also owned the 161cm because the extra lenght would be great for surfy turns and a more laid back riding. 

Powder

In powder you have nice float from the 7mm taper and easy turning especially in trees and narrow sections. There's a downside to the narrow waist and it is the possible boot dragging, which I do not experienced with size 8 US boots and positive binding angles. It is a fast board and is handles powder as if it was nothing. It can be a really surfy ride and begs to be ridden on the tail with that rockered nose and directional camber.

Carving and turning

This is one of the best carving boards I've ever owned, despite its waist of 248mm that can easily be a no go for many riders with bigger feet, it is the perfect size for my 8 US boots. It holds an edge so good you would believe and the short sidecut of 7.65m mkaes it a great board to make tight turns in the trees. It is quick edge to edge and it wants to turn and rip.

One thing that challenged me at first was the directional camber with the rocker nose; I had to lean a bit more on my back feet while entering into deep turns and carves because the nose would bend on me. Many told me it was a matter of how the camber is set and I kind of believe it can be that. Many of my traditional camber boards never did that on me and most of the Burton directional camber boards tend to do that when rode more agressively.

Speed

As its name says it, the Speed Date wants to charge full speed down every piste you go. It brings my confidence at a level few other boards did on any condition. In fact, I think the board is even better on hard pack and icy conditions since it rips so much. Stable and responsive and so much fun. The recycle WFO base is fast and depsite being white, which is in my opinion the worst base color for maintain, cleaning, and tuning it is super hard and fast.

Uneven Terrain

Since it has a short sidecut and narrow waist it slaloms and turns real quick in chunder and its small taper of 7mm makes it really easy into all kinds of terrains. There was never a situation I wished I had another board under my feet. Except maybe the jib park, where I prefer to have a more forgiving flex board like a Custom Camber and a bit cheaper or a beater board than a high end Famity Tree snowboard.

Jumps

Surprisingly, this is a board that reminded me of the Burton Balance and its jump factor is great and I even brought it into the halfpipe and I holds its edges pretty well. However, it is not a freestyle snowboard and there are many better options out there, like a Burton Custom camber.

Verdict

For me, this one is a keeper and sits on a throne by itself. If I ever have to pick only one board to keep and get rid of all the other ones I have this would be it. In case of doubt, always bring the Speed Date and it makes a great complement to my Burton Fortress 154cm (wait for this review to come out and you'll be surprised!).

I love the feel, the shape, the graphics, and the way I ride with it I almost feel like a professionnal. Almost...

Now go out and ride!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowboarder Profile: Kevin Young

In the early 1990’s freestyle snowboarding was in its child years and new tricks were constantly invented. It was all a white fresh canvas for the young riders that moulded the sport that everyone refers to as the Shaun White sport. Way before the young “Flying Tomato” even stand on a board legends of the sport were defining and experiencing tricks, jumps, transitions, etc.

The Evolution of Soundtracks in Snowboard Movies

And then there was sound. When you are watching a video part what’s sticking the most? The rider for sure! But what makes a good video part and what makes a great video part? First, you must have the right editor to mix and balance the amount of tricks and the different terrain. When this is done, even if it’s one of the most important jobs, the music must be choose. Sometimes, it’s the rider that ask for a particular song from an artist he/she likes or a genre he/she listens. Other times, the editor will suggest a kind of music that fits with the particular rider personality and/or style. However, I will always remember the part of Peter Line in The Resistance with the Ween song or JP Walker’s closing segment with the marvellous Redman/Method Man tune. Music is a big part of our lives and it is omnipresent in everything we do. Sometimes it defines who you are and your values or a particular time in your life. The snowboard movie soundtracks have become almost as important as

2016 Fullbag - Diamond Blade Review

Brand: Fullbag Model: Diamond Blade Camber: Rocker/Camber/Rocker Stance: Setback 2.5cm